Who are the Pirate Monks?  

Posted by Jordan Bunch


The Pirate Monks are a group of freshmen, sophomore and junior students at Abilene Christian University that live in Edwards Hall together. They are committed to living in community under a common rule of life.

The purpose of Pirate Monks is 2 fold.
1) To develop a conversational relationship with God in prayer
2) To learn to love the Triune God, monk brothers, and all of creation more deeply

The principles we live by are the following:
1) Authenticity: True to Christ and true to his Body
2) Relational: Kind to People
3) Missional: Taking the Gospel to the men of Edwards Hall, the campus, the city and the world

Our practices are the following
1) Practice a daily rhythm of prayer.
a) “10:02 prayer” (a prayer for more harvest workers)
b( Conversational prayer
2) Commit to a soul friendship in whom you will have regular times for prayer and confession
3)Read a significant TBD piece of scripture 3 times a week with the intent to put it to memory (this year the scripture chosen by the group is Matthew 5-7)

Our "Commitment Statements" to each other are:
1) I will always take the place of a servant. In any situation I find myself in I will look to others needs above my own.
2) I will cultivate the contemplative life of a monk, by practicing silence, solitude, and fasting. I will enter the dangerous way of prayer. Specifically, I commit to fast one meal (lunch or dinner) a week and spend 15 minutes a day in silence before God.
3) I will meet with my monk brothers weekly for fellowship, encouragement, pirate challenges and prayer.

This entry was posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment